In Windows XP, the location is stored under
The proper order for switching over to the new directory is:
- Create the new user profiles directory.
- Edit the registry as outlined above.
- Reboot for the registry changes to take effect.
- Log-in as the users for which you want to change the profile directory to. (this is needed so that Windows will recreate the user profile files and directory correctly)
- Reboot again, then log-in as a different user (e.g. Administrator) from the one whose files you wish to copy over to the new user profiles directory.
- Copy all the files in the old profiles directory for the user to the newly created one.