Now days a computer is a window to the outside world, therefore, protecting is not an option, you have to do it. Virus and computer Trojan can arrive from various websites, software programs, downloads and emails. Pop-ups, a hijacked web browser, poor computer performance and crashes are some of the signs of malware or virus. Here three simple steps in keeping safe and secure you personal computer.
1. Buy an external hard drive for backup purpose (250GB+) . Now days they are very small and can hold tons of data (I got mine in black Friday).
2. Backup your data to a external hard drive. You can use Copy and Paste (manually). There are some other tools like Windows Backup or some other tools. I use ViceVersa, it is not free but it does a very good job. It also helps you replicate the files in multiple external devices.
3. There are some other online companies like Mozy that have a very good plan for backing up your personal files safe and secure online.
b. SECURE AND PROTECT
1. Make sure the Windows Firewall is on at all times (Start –> Control Panel –> FireWall). This will protect your computer from intruders trying to access your computer.
2. Norton Antivirus is the best Antivirus software that can protect your computer. However, It is like a big think cloth, it will slow down your computer if you are low in computer resources (2GB+ may be good for Norton).
3. Now, if you are cheap then I recommend the free Antivirus software:
i. AVG is the best free antivirus software available.
ii. Avast! Free Antivirus has fully functioning antivirus
c. MAINTENANCE AND CLEANUP
1. Just like any other household item in your house it needs to be maintained and once in while you have to clean up. I created a batch file that gets rid off the temporary files of your computer, like the temporary files from internet or programs that generates temp files. You can find -here- .
2. Defrag your hard drive(s). A hard drive is like pizza pie tray … if you keep adding staff like music, pictures, files, it will get stored anywhere and later the system will have a hard time looking for it. Defragging your hard drive will organize all that mess and your hard drive may even last longer.
3. Now, if you computer have already been hijacked by a Malware or Virus, here are some tools to help you remove.
i. Malwarebytes (free): Malwarebytes is very good in helping identify and remove malicious software from your computer.
ii. Ad-Aware Free (free): Ad-Aware features real-time protection and removal of unwanted Trojan.
iii. Spybot – Search & Destroy: Searches whole computer or just a certain file for malicious software commonly missed by anti-virus programs.