This procedure applies to all versions of Windows 2003 Windows 2003. I had a virtual machine that came configured with as a Domain Controller and I need to demote/remove the domain controller or Active Directory (AD) from that virtual machine.
Here are the steps to demote a domain controller
- On a domain controller machine, click Start, and then click Run.
- In Open, type dcpromo to open the Active Directory Installation Wizard, and then click Next.
- On the Remove Active Directory page, click Next, and then continue to follow the wizard.
If you domain controller machine has certificate services running, then you have to remove certificate services first before you can demote a domain controller.
To uninstall Certificate Services from the server do the following:
1. Close the Certification Authority MMC snap-in if it is still open.
2. Click Start, point to Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
3. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
4. In the Components box, click to clear the Certificate Services check box, click Next, and then follow the instructions in the Windows Components Wizard to complete the removal of Certificate Services.